Sunday, April 11, 2010

Leonard Peltier: Our beloved Wilma Mankiller


Sisters, brothers, friends and supporters,

I'm sure all of you have heard about the passing of Wilma Mankiller. She was someone who brought hope to many people all across the world with her courage and her ability to bridge gaps and bring positive change. She was embraced by many people, and she will always be remembered by me as a woman who spoke in support of justice for me--even when it might not have been in her best interest politically.

I became aware of Wilma’s good work many years ago and was often heartened by her efforts. She understood the struggle for justice for indigenous people all over North America and around the world. Yet, it is my understanding that her heart always remained home with her family and her Cherokee people.

I have always felt that somewhere out there a courageous woman named Wilma Mankiller cared about me and spoke for me when she had the opportunity, and so I add my voice to those who feel they have lost a true friend. I know we are many.

I ask my family and friends to make a donation in my name to One Fire Development Corporation (http://www.onefiredevelopment.org), as was Wilma's wish.

And for me, my wish is that her work will live on and her time spent here will continue to stand for positive change for our people. And I know it will.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse,


Leonard Peltier

No comments:

Post a Comment